Delta 8 tetrahydrocannabinol, or Delta 8 THC, is one of the most popular compounds in the Cannadiboil family. It owns the podium owing to its mild euphoric and psychoactive properties, along with tons of health benefits. However, most people opt for Delta 8 products due to their recreational value.
So, now the concern arises, “Does Delta 8 show up on a drug test?” This is essentially important for corporate employees, sports persons, and travellers who need to take the drug test occasionally. So, in this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Delta 8 THC and drug tests. Moreover, we will discuss the precautions you need to take when taking Delta 8 THC products.
Drug Tests and THC
Before diving into the particulars of Delta 8 THC, let’s learn something about drug tests and how they work.
Drug tests are designed to detect the presence of THC in your blood. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is a psychoactive compound. It is found in cannabis and is responsible for causing euphoric or high effects in consumers.
When you consume THC, it is metabolised by your body and broken down into various metabolites. Drug tests detect the presence of those metabolites. Surprisingly, the metabolites can be present in your blood days after you consume. So, the drug tests are capable enough to precisely mark the presence of THC in your blood, even if you are not expecting a positive result.
Does Delta-8 THC Show Up On a Drug Test?
Yes, Delta THC shows up on the drug test!
However, the Delta 8 THC limit of detection and presence varies heavily based on how someone consumes it. Moreover, the type of drug test and the amount of delta THC consumed also vary the result.
Most of the time, drug tests are designed to give positive test results for Delta 9 THC. Since Delta 8 is also chemically similar to Delta 9, it also gives positive results on a drug test. However, the results of tests vary heavily based on the amount of Delta 8 THC present in someone’s system. So, different types of drug tests give different accuracy.
One important thing to note is that your drug test can falsely identify the presence of delta 9 THC in the blood, a highly psychoactive compound in cannabis. It is because of the structural resemblance of both delta 8 and delta 9 metabolites.
Types of Drug Tests for Delta 8 THC.
There are four types of drug tests for Delta 8 THC:
1. Urine Tests: These tests are most commonly used as drug tests as they are cheap. Many corporate setups and government institutes use this type. A urine test gives a positive result for THC if there is
- Single-use of Delta 8 THC 3 days earlier.
- The moderate use of Delta 8 THC 4-5 times a week 5 to 8 days earlier.
- Daily (chronic use) of Delta 8 THC 10 to 15 days earlier.
- Multiple times per day (chronic heavy use) > 30 days earlier.
Most of the time, this test is taken in duplicate. It means the person whose test is positive is called to give another sample to clear any doubt.
2. Blood Tests: A blood test is a more accurate but less commonly used drug test. In this type, a blood sample is taken and analysed for THC metabolites and THC presence. This test gives a positive result if there is
- Delta 8 THC was used 2 to 12 hours earlier.
- Multiple times per day (chronic heavy use) > 30 days earlier.
3. Saliva Test: This type is only used by some institutes as it is rather expensive and has low accuracy. In the saliva test, the lab collects your saliva and runs the test for THC metabolites. This test shows positive results if
- Delta 8 THC was used 24 hours earlier.
- Multiple times per day (chronic heavy use) > 72 hours earlier.
4. Hair Test: Can you believe THC metabolites can be present in your hair? Usually, this test works for the criminals or any other missing person whose hair sample is found. It is the most difficult to test and the most expensive of all types. This test gives positive results when
- Delta 8 THC was consumed 90 days earlier.
Delta-8 THC and Drug Testing: What You Need to Know
Here are the few things you need to keep in mind if you are a heavy user of Delta 8 THC:
- Make sure you check the legality status of Delta 8 of your region. US Farm Bill allows Delta 8 THC products in a concentration of <0.3% THC. However, there are still multiple states that have banned its use.
- If you are frequently subject to drug testing, or you are a student or sports person, be extra cautious with your Delta 8 consumption. It is because Delta 8 can also trigger a positive response for Delta 9 too, even if you haven’t used it.
- Always use Delta 8 products from a reliable source with a good market reputation. This will make sure you are always consuming THC in the amounts legally allowed by the government so you do not get into trouble in the future.
How Long Does Delta-8 Take to Metabolize?
Since the half-life of Delta 8 is from 40 minutes to 7 hours, it takes the same time to metabolise in the body.
Metabolites are little molecules produced in your body as a result of Delta 8 breakdown. So, if you use THC frequently for a long time, the metabolites are present in higher concentrations. So it will take much longer to remove them completely from the system.
What Factors Affect the Presence of Delta-8 Stays In Your Body?
Here are three major factors that affect the presence of Delta 8 in your body:
1. Frequency: If you take Delta 8 THC frequently, it will take a lot longer for THC to clear from your system.
2. Genetics: Everybody has a different metabolic system based on his genetics. Some individuals have a faster elimination rate than others.
3. Type of Delta 8 Intake: How you consume Delta 8 also affects the amount of its presence in your body. Tinctures and edibles are known to stay for longer in your system than vapes and topicals.
Is There Anything You Can Do To Metabolize Delta-8 Faster?
There is NO precise method to metabolise Delta 8 faster from your body.
There are many scammers on the Internet that will suggest you try herbal detoxes and sell their products. However, be careful as they are not helpful and can impact your health really badly.
Here are a few things you can try to enhance your metabolism:
- Exercise for 45 to 60 minutes a day to enhance your overall metabolism.
- Drink a lot of water. Water allows you to improve your excretion and metabolic system.
- Make sure you get at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep to affect your metabolism positively.
- Refrain from the use of any cannabinoid.
- Contact your healthcare professional for more help. He can also recommend you take laxatives to enhance the elimination of Delta 8 THC from your gut. However, be sure laxatives do nothing for the substance already absorbed in your bloodstream. Also, they can cause dehydration.
So, now you know Delta 8 THC shows on drug tests, it’s better to regulate your intake accordingly. In any case, make sure you get your products from a trusted seller. In this way, the products you are consuming will be within the safe limit of THC, i.e., <0.3%. Also, if you need to take your drug test frequently, make sure you keep your Delta 8 doses low.
We hope this article helped you get the precise answer. In case of any further questions, ask us in the comments. We would be happy to help.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Delta 8 and Delta 9?
Yes, Delta 8 and Delta 9 are two different compounds though they are structurally similar. Delta 8 has a much less potent psychoactive action than Delta 9. However, both of these compounds show up on drug tests.
What are the side effects of Delta 8 on your body?
Delta 8 THC has the following side effects on your body:
- Visual distortions
- Blurry thinking
- Chronic pain
- Panic attacks
How long does it take for Delta 8 to start giving its effect?
The effect of Delta 8 mostly varies from one person to another. Moreover, it depends heavily on how you use it. Most of the time, Delta 8 takes 30 minutes to 2 hours to show the effect.
How long do Delta 8 effects last?
Delta 8 effect can last for long hours. Therefore, starting with a low dose and then levelling up as needed is highly recommended.