New kratom users often ask how long kratom takes to kick in and how long it will last from there. Even experienced kratom aficionados probably want to know the different onsets based on the form of kratom and factors that affect absorption.
The form of kratom can drastically alter the onset and may even affect the duration, peak, and overall effects. Let’s look at each of the popular types and how long they take to kick in.
How Long Does Kratom Powder Take to Kick In?
Kratom powder may not taste great to most people, but if you learn to toss-and-wash kratom like a pro, then you will not taste it very much. One of the reasons a lot of people prefer powder is the rapid onset and potent results.
Kratom powder will usually take 10 to 20 minutes for many of the effects. The peak will be 1 to 2 hours after ingestion. Some people even find that kratom powder begins to take effect in as little as 5 minutes!
There are some benefits to this rapid onset. It makes it easier to plan for the effects to do what you want to do whether that is work or play. It also allows you to gauge the effects quickly to know if you want a little more kratom.
How Long Do Kratom Capsules Take to Kick In?
Kratom capsules are loved by many because they are convenient and easier to dose. Capsules are also good for slightly prolonging the effects, but are unlikely to have as strong of a peak as powder.
The capsules themselves have to dissolve before the kratom is released. They dissolve quickly in stomach acid, but it may still delay the onset by 15 to 30 minutes. This means that the initial onset is somewhere around 30 to 45 minutes for most people.
This delayed onset of effects can be beneficial as well. Some people like to be able to take small amounts throughout the day to extend the duration of effects. Doing this will prevent a harsh comedown as well. Personally, kratom capsules are less effective, but a lot of kratom advocates swear by them.
How Long Does Kratom Tea Take to Kick In?
Kratom tea is a very popular method that you can drink fast to get stronger results or sip throughout the day to stay with the amount of effects that you desire. Kratom tea offers a similar onset as kratom powder, but it isn’t identical.
Some kratom tea drinkers find that they begin to feel the effects in as little as 2 to 3 minutes. Now that’s fast! Typically, the full effects will still take around 20 to 30 minutes to hit and the peak is often felt in an hour and 15 minutes or less.
The reason that tea hits a little faster than powder is the easy absorption. Since the alkaloids already dissolve into the tea, they do not have to make their way out of the kratom leaves and into your bloodstream. While the difference isn’t drastic, if you are looking for sustained results that hit almost immediately, tea may be a good option.
Click here to read how to prepare kratom tea?
How Long Does Kratom Last?
A lot of factors can affect the duration of kratom effects. However, there is still a range that you can expect after ingesting kratom. Typically, the forms of kratom will only minimally affect duration as well.
Kratom powder and kratom tea will typically last at least 4 hours. The effects can last as long as 6 hours depending on personal factors, dose, and strain. Kratom capsules will typically last the same length, but there will not be as much of a drop off of effects after the peak. Finally, kratom tea, if you drink it all immediately, will land somewhere between 3 and 5 hours. If you sip it slowly, then the duration can be extended to 6 or more hours.
Factors that Affect Absorption
While the form of kratom plays a role in the onset and duration, there are many other factors at play that can determine how fast you feel the effects. Let’s look at the most common factors that affect absorption.
- Food- The contents in your stomach will play a huge role in the speed of onset. In fact, this may be the single most important factor that affects absorption. Not only that, but eating right before taking kratom can reduce the effects or even make you unable to feel the effects at all. While eating right before taking kratom can delay the onset and reduce the effects, it is also important that you continue to eat because more side effects are likely if you take it on an empty stomach. I always wait at least an hour after eating to ensure I get the results I want.
- Water – Drinking enough water is crucial for overall health, but it can also affect the absorption rate of kratom’s alkaloids. This is because some of the alkaloids will enter the water so your body doesn’t have to break down the organic matter as much. This is especially true with hot water, but a lot of users find that staying hydrated in general boosts the effects.
- Metabolism – As we get older, or metabolism tends to slow down. This can make the kratom take longer to take effect. In addition, it seems like kratom may stay in the system longer for someone who has a slower metabolism. Genetics may also play a role, but it is hard to know how much your genes can alter the onset and duration of kratom.
- Tolerance – Someone with a higher tolerance is less likely to feel the initial effects because the first feelings are generally mild. If you find that your tolerance is too high to feel strong enough effects or delayed results, then you may want to take a tolerance break either cold turkey or by tapering down your dose.
- Fat – The primary alkaloid, mitragynine, is fat-soluble. This means that it may have a faster duration and a stronger peak in people that have higher body fat. Some people even choose to eat a fatty meal 30 minutes after they ingest the kratom to potentiate the effects.
- Dose – Stronger doses will have a faster onset. This is because the body will absorb more alkaloids initially, which can make you feel the effects much quicker. However, it is not a good idea to take higher doses just for the faster onset because they can increase tolerance and raise the risk of side effects.
- Strain – The onset may depend on the strength of the strain as well as the color. Typically, reds will take the longest to feel results. The reason for this is unclear, but potent reds, like Red Bali, can still have an onset less than a half hour. White strains, especially the most energetic strains like White Borneo often have the fastest onset, but may not last as long as reds and greens. Green strains, like the increasingly popular Green Horn strain, have an onset and range of effects in between the reds and whites.
If you are looking for effects at a specific time, then it can be beneficial to know how long before you will have to take kratom. Some people take it right before work, while others like to have it as a pick me up after their lunch hour. Other users only use it to participate in their hobbies. Whatever you use kratom for, now you know what things can affect the onset in duration so that you can plan your doses accurately.